What a crazy swing in the weather! Last week it was 80 degrees, then it was super rainy, and then this weekend it was in the 40s! While many apples enjoy a good frost (it actually makes many of them sweeter), none of them like to freeze. Once they are frozen solid they are pretty much ruined…
So if you have any fruit in your yard you should check your low temps for the week! It is dropping to 29 in the night here so we are trying to get all of our fruit off the trees while we still can.
What will we do with them all??
- Eat as many as we can (they store nicely in the fridge for quite a while).
- Give them away to any friends that want any.
- Send some to school for the kids classes.
- Donate some to the local food pantry. All kids and families deserve fresh apples this Fall! Just check to make sure that they will accept them.
Make all of our favorite apple things!
- Apple Cider
- Applesauce (regular, cinnamon, pear, etc.)
- Apple Cinnamon Oat Bread
- Apple Strudal Muffins (tip: I add extra apples and double the strudel topping!)
- Baked Apple Chips (or use a dehydrator)
- Caramel Apples
- Delicious Autumn Chopped Salad
- Apple Sangria
- Apple Fruit Leathers
- Canned Apple Pie Filling
- Apple butter, etc, etc. Yumm!