Ok guys, this is one of my all time favorite salads, regardless of the season. Every time I serve this someone asks me for the recipe. I usually end up doubling this recipe if we’re have a group over. I literally keep the poppy seed dressing stocked in the pantry, just so I can make this salad on a whim. This recipe is adapted from IowaGirlEats.com.
Autumn Chopped Salad
- 6 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 6 slices center-cut bacon
- 1-2 pears, chopped
- 1-2 apples, chopped
- 1/4 cup peanuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup Poppy Seed Salad Dressing (or more or less)
- 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar (or more or less)
- Lay bacon strips down on a folded paper towel on a microwave-safe plate, then cover with another folded paper towel. Microwave for 1 minute then rotate the plate 1/4 turn and microwave for 30 more seconds. Continue rotating and cooking in 30 second increments until the bacon is crisp, then let cool and chop up.
- Add cooled bacon, romaine lettuce, pear, apple, peanuts, dried cranberries, and feta cheese into a very large bowl, then add salad dressing and balsamic vinegar to taste. Toss well and serve immediately.
* To make the dressing, just mix poppy seed dressing and vinegar together in a bowl. Add more poppy seed dressing or vinegar to taste. You can also use balsamic dressing instead of vinegar if you have it.
Yum yum- Enjoy!