Ok, if your kids are like mine they LOVE fruit leathers (we buy the target brand a lot- like too often, haha). Well, I was doing a “power Pinterest” session for 5 minutes while I was waiting to pick up one of the kids the other day and came across a basic recipe for homemade fruit leathers. Yessss. I modified it a bit and came up with a perfect recipe for us and I cannot make them fast enough.
The easiest way is to get one of these silicone nonstick baking mats. Everything peels off of them like magic and they are so easy to rinse clean it’s ridiculous. I honestly don’t know why it took me so long to find them.
Alright, here is the recipe! Use any flavor of applesauce that you like (homemade or store bought) and enjoy!
PS. The pictures below are using regular homemade applesauce and homemade strawberry applesauce (mashed, not pureed, which is why the strawberry one looks a little different- soooo good though!)
Homemade Fruit Leathers
-One sheet makes approximately 12 “roll-ups”
- Applesauce (click for homemade recipe)
- Nonstick Cooking Mat
- Pizza Cutter, scissors
- Parchment paper
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees. Place silicone baking mat on metal baking sheet.
- Pour applesauce onto mat and smooth out evenly with a spatula.
- Bake 2-4 hours at 170 degrees or until no longer sticky when touched. If you’re unsure if it’s done, slowly pull up one of the corners of the fruit leather- it should peel up easily.
- Let cool. Peel off of baking mat and place on parchment paper. Cut sheet in half using pizza cutter. Roll one half and use scissors to cut roll to desired size. Repeat with other half. Store in any airtight container.