So if you’re like me, you look forward to apple picking picking every fall! But what to do with all of those apples?? We all eat as many as we want, but there’s always a few buckets left over. Here is an easy recipe for homemade applesauce. This recipe is for canning, but feel free to make it in small batches to eat right away or to keep in the fridge for a week or so.
Soooooo yummy and it’s a great recipe for the kids to help with!
Kids of all ages will love this delicious homemade applesauce for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Mix sweet and tart apples for a unique flavor.
- o 12 lbs apples, peeled, cored, quartered, treated to prevent browning* and drained (about 36 medium)
- o Water
- o 1 cups white or brown sugar, optional (I usually start with none, then add 1/4 cup at a time to taste)
- o 4 Tbsp lemon juice
- o 8 pint jars or 4 quart jars
- Step 1 1. PREPARE boiling water canner. Heat jars in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil.
- Step 2 2. COMBINE apples with just enough water to prevent sticking in a large stainless steel saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and boil gently, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 20 minutes, until apples are tender (time will depend upon the variety of apple and their maturity). Turn off heat and let cool slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Step 3 3. MASH in the pot with a potato masher until desired consistency (we like ours a little chunky), or put through a food processor/blender in small batches.
- Step 4 4. RETURN apple purée to saucepan. Add sugar, if using, and lemon juice. You can add brown sugar and cinnamon (to taste) instead of the regular sugar if you prefer cinnamon applesauce.
- Step 5 5. LADLE hot applesauce into hot jars leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Apply band until fit is fingertip tight.
- Step 6 6. PROCESS (boil) jars in a boiling water canner for 20 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.
- Step 7 *To treat apple slices to prevent browning, submerge cut apples in a mixture of 1/4 cup lemon juice and 4 cups water.