Every year, like clockwork, after the first month or so of school mornings I am so tired of oatmeal, cereal, and yogurt breakfasts. There has got to be something better than this, that is just as easy! I do not have time on weekday mornings to fit in a full egg/sausage/pancake breakfast. I’m sorry- not happening. But a “make-ahead” version?? THAT I can do!
I find this recipe to be especially great, because it works for a Sunday Brunch, or cut into individual pieces for a quick and filling breakfast. I hope this recipe helps with your school mornings like it has helped with mine!
Make Ahead Egg Bake Casserole
- 1 (20oz) package hash browns, thawed
- 1 lb sausage
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, diced
- 10 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 12 oz shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray 9″ x 13″ baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Brown sausage, onions, and garlic in a skillet. Cook until sausage is no longer pink, and is crumbly and evenly browned. Drain any excess grease.
- Meanwhile, whisk together eggs, milk, onion powder and salt and pepper in a bowl.
- To assemble, put hash browns in bottom of baking dish, pour egg mixture over the top, sprinkle on 1/2 of the cheese, spread on meat/onion/garlic mixture, and top with the remaining cheese. Cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake in preheated oven approx 1 hour. Remove foil and let brown up a bit on top until knife or toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes and serve.
Make ahead servings:
- Allow egg bake to cool for a bit. Cut into single serving size pieces (should make approx 20-22 servings). Wrap each piece tightly in plastic wrap and place in the freezer.
- To use, remove from plastic wrap, place frozen egg square on a plate and microwave 1 1/2 – 2 1/2 minutes, until heated through. Serve warm.