Homemade Corn Bread & Jalapeno Corn Bread
- cooking spray (to grease baking dish)
- 1 stick butter (1/2 cup)
- 2 cups milk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1-2 16oz jars sliced jalapenos (optional)
Heat the oven to 400°F. Spray the bottom and sides of an 9×11 inch pan with cooking spray.
Melt butter in microwave.
In a large bowl, beat the melted butter, milk and egg with a fork or whisk until well mixed.
- In a separate bowl, mix cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add to butter/milk/egg mixture and stir just until the flour is moistened (batter will be lumpy).
- If you are adding jalapenos, cut them up into smaller pieces and add now. I usually use about 1 1/2 jars hot jalapeno. Fold into batter.
- Pour batter into the pan; use a rubber spatula to scrape batter from bowl. Spread batter evenly in pan and smooth top of batter.
Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Can be served warm or cool.